VMWare on 64 bit Hardy
Created 7th May, 2008 04:27 (UTC), last edited 7th May, 2008 08:54 (UTC)
These are some notes, primarily for myself, but that might be useful to others. I'm using VMWare server 1.0.5.
- Ensure these packages are installed:
- libssl-dev and ia32-libs (thanks to Bosk22)
- gcc and g++
- If the build stil fails you'll need to grab and use the "any any" patch:
- Download the 115 "any any" patch from http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/ (not the 109 "any any" patch from http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/).
- Uncompress it and run runme.pl — this will patch the configuration file and re-run it. The configuration should now complete
- If you still can't execute VMWare (hint, try running vmware& from a terminal and look for error messages) then you will need to patch the installed files. Below is a bash shell script that will do this for you (script built from posts on the Ubuntu forums, can't remember which ones I'm afraid).
mv libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0 libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0.disabled
ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0
mv libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1.disabled
ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
Using this I can run virtual machines normally, but for some reason I don't get most of the icons showing up in the console. I guess this is due to a problem with the PNG patches made by the script above.